Meet Nick, your guide for this adventure. Nick is the great-grandson of the infamous pirate Captain Nathaniel Wilson. For years, Nick sat at the feet of his grandfather and listened spell-bound to the colorful stories of his notorious ancestor who would fight recklessly and plunder mercilessly. The tales were full of Captain Wilson winning fights, burying gold and treasure, and bragging about his exploits at Pirate Pete’s Tavern. To Nick, Captain Nathaniel Wilson must have been the most fearsome Pirate of the High Seas!
And then the speaker gave them each a treasure map and challenged the audience to embark on this dangerous quest—to sail the islands off Pirate’s Cove and become the most famed and feared pirate the world has ever seen. Or maybe she said most respected and sought after instructional designer. But Nick was spellbound once again as she warned him that he would need to plot a course, navigate shrewdly, and through it all, he would need a hearty mix of knowledge, skill, and down-right luck.
As Nick poured over the map, he saw that it would guide him through the process of gamified learning design. The journey looked like it might be difficult, and he saw that he would encounter hazards along the way. In the background, he could hear the speaker saying, “At each level you will encounter challenges and unknown hardships—but as a reward for your hard fought efforts, you will find plenty of bounty and other treasures, yet unknown. Will luck be for you or against you today? Are you ready to set sail and become the most famous pirate of the sea?”
Nick grabbed the map and his colleagues, and without giving it a second thought, jumped to his feet and shouted, “Pirates Rule the Sea!”
- A Game the System™ Gameboard
- Level 1: The Lost Lagoon Starter Cards (Objectives)
- Level 2: Dead Men Tell No Tales Starter Cards (Story)
- Level 3: Pirate Pete’s Tavern Starter Cards (Activities)
- Level 4: Booty Cove Starter Cards (Mechanics)
- Level 5: Shipwreck Reef Starter Cards (Aesthetics)
- Bloom’s Taxonomy Questions and Activities
- SMART Goal Setting Playsheet
- Story Board Starter Worksheet
- Learning Activity Map
- The Gamification Starter Kit Training Plan Template
The Gamification Starter Kit